You are here:Home > Services > Tenant Information

Tenant Information

Our tenants are very important to us, so we want to make sure we provide first-class, cost-effective services. 


This page provides information about your home, including contacts and links that you may find useful.  


If there is any additional information you need which isn’t covered on this page or in the tenant handbook please contact us. We will be happy to help.


Paying your rent 

We use the rent collected from you to pay for the housing services you receive. It is important that everyone pays their rent regularly and on time, so that we can continue to provide high quality services. Your rent is due weekly in advance, as detailed in your tenancy agreement. You can pay fortnightly or monthly – but you must pay in advance so that your account does not go into arrears. 


How to pay your rent


directdebit If you pay by direct debit, your payments are either spread equally throughout the year on a monthly or weekly basis. 
 phone You can pay over the phone using your debit card. Simply call the Finance Department on 696344 and speak to a cashier. This service is available from 9am to 4pm, weekdays only.   
 person In person  You may pay by cash, cheque or debit card by calling into the Finance Department at the Town Hall. The payment counter is open 11a.m to 02:30p.m Monday to Thursday and 09:30a.m to 02:30pm Fridays. 
 Email To pay by post send a cheque payable to Douglas Borough Council and make sure you write your name and address on the back of the cheque. Please do not send cash in the post or put cash through our letter box.


Struggling with debt

A household budget is important for anyone trying to stay in control of their finances. The debt counselling service works with clients to enable them to prioritise their debts and make affordable repayments to their creditors.


Residents can speak to one of the cousellors in confidence by calling 686510. Alternatively, self-help information is available at


Lodgers, including home-stay schemes

A lodger is someone who lives as part of your household and shares the same facilities. (A tenant's child returning home is also classed as a lodger). You will need to get our written permission before you take in a lodger. A lodger charge, will be added to your rent for each lodger staying in your home. You can download the lodger/separate family application form from this page.


Subletting is when you rent your home to someone. If you sublet your home you will have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement and we will take steps to take possession of your home


Home-stay schemes are usually for short periods of up to two weeks in duration which is normally permitted, subject to the size of the property and after notifying the Council and registering with the home-stay organisers. The tenant(s) must remain in occupation of their property during any such home-stay scheme period.


Home Adaptations

If you are having difficulties with everyday things, like bathing, you should contact your doctor or local social services first and tell them what your difficulties are. They will arrange for an occupational therapist to visit your home and assess your needs, and they can supply portable equipment directly and request adaptations, such as handrails on your behalf.






Frequently Asked Questions

Can I make alterations to the property? 

See 'Repair and Maintenance' opposite for more information on home alterations.

How do I participate in a mutual property exchanges?

See 'Moving House' for more information on mutual exchanges.

How do I make a comment or complaint?

You can make a complaint by filling and submitting a complaint form. (See 'Complaints' opposite).

I am experiencing antisocial behaviour – what should I do?

If you feel comfortable doing so try talking to the person first to see if you can resolve the situation. They may not even be aware that they are causing a problem. If you want to report ASB or need confidential advice, please contact our office on 696435.

Depending on how severe the situation is, we may ask to meet with you within five working days of reporting the incident. We will always deal with the situation sensitively and explain what action can be taken.

If you are threatened with violence or witness someone doing something illegal, please contact the police immediately.

What if the number of people in my household increases? 

If you are in a long-term relationship and would like you partner to move in with you please contact us to let us know. If you would like to add your partner to the tenancy of your property contact us to discuss it. Also, if you have a child, please let us know so that we can add them to your household details. Please fill out the occupancy form downloadable from this page to advise us of any occupancy changes.



Last modified on Thursday, 05 August 2021 15:09