Borough rates are payable on domestic and commercial properties.
Please notify Douglas Borough Council upon change of occupancy or ownership of premises within the borough.
Water rates are collected by Isle of Man Government Treasury, Valuation Office, 1st Floor, Illiam Dhone House, Circular Road, Douglas, Isle of Man IM1 3PX. There is also a link to further information in Useful Links.
How to pay your property rates
Direct Debit - The most popular payment method is direct debit. There are several advantages to this:
- The choice of monthly payment dates;
- No worries about remembering to pay, so no late payments, reminders or summonses;
- No cheques to write out or cash to carry;
- No worry of cheques getting lost or stolen in the post;
- No need to make the journey to the Town Hall;
- Protection through the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme.
There are three payment plan options available.
- A one-off payment of the net amount on the 1st or 15th June each year.
- The net amount paid over three months in April, May and June in each rating year (a choice of payment dates on the 15th or 25th of each month).
- A maximum of 10 monthly payments of the gross amount paid between April and February in each rating year (a choice of payment dates on the 1st, 15th or 25th of each month). Paying over this period does not include the early payment discount.
Pay Online by debit card. See 'What Can I Do Online?'
Telephone - payments are accepted over the phone as long as you are using a debit card, see 'Contact Details'.
Post - we accept cheque payments by post, please make cheques payable to 'Douglas Borough Council'. Post-dated cheques will not be accepted. Please do not send cash by post.
Payments Counter (at Douglas Town Hall) - we accept debit card, cheque and cash payments at the Finance Department payment counter, located at Douglas Town Hall (opening hours: 11:00-14:30, Monday to Thursday and 11:00 - 16:00 Friday).
- You will be required to provide your payment counterfoil when using any of the above payment methods;
- The payment counter is located in the Finance Department in the Town Hall (old Library entrance), Ridgeway Street, Douglas and is open 11:00-14:30, Monday to Thursday and 11:00-16:00 Friday;
- For revaluations please contact The Valuation Office, Government Office, Buck's Road, Douglas, IM1 1PX. A link to their website is included on this page and includes an explanation of rates valuations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are rates?
Please see the link 'A Rates Valuation' on this page to find out more about rates.
Are discounts on rates available?
Yes, a discount of 3.5% (effective April 6, 2016) is available if payment in full for the rates is received before 16:00 on the last working day in June of the 2016-2017 rate year.
Are there any exceptions to paying rates?
Yes, buildings used exclusively for charitable purposes or religious worship are exempt from rate paying.
How do I apply for rates exemption?
You can download a charities exemption form from the 'What Can I Do Online' menu on the right of the page.
I own a building which stands empty; do I still need to pay rates?
Yes, rates are still due in full if a building is empty or in single occupancy.